Buying ice cream at the grocery store is as easy as ABC, but making your own ice cream can bring you more fun moments and save your money. If you wanna get an unforgettable experience when making the ice cream, let us help you with this article. Today, we will show you how to use an old fashioned ice cream maker.
Now, let’s get our fun started!
Get to know the old fashioned ice cream maker
Before moving to the instruction part, it would be better for you guys to know about all the equipment of the old school ice cream makers.
Regardless of the shape and model, the classic ice cream making devices often contain the equipment below:
– Dasher, also known as the beater.
– An aluminum canister (often referred to as the chilled canister/bowl or the can) to store the cream mixture.
– The electric motor and cranking mechanism to breeze the ice cream.
– A bucket to store the chilled bowl, ice and salt.
Tutorial to use the old fashioned ice cream maker
To make homemade ice cream with the old fashioned ice cream maker, follow the instruction below:
- Make your ice cream mixture with milk, cream, and your favorite flavor. You can check out the internet for tasty recipes.
- Pour the mixture into the chilled canister. Remember to fill the canister only two-thirds full for expansion. Also, the mixture should be cool before pouring into the aluminum bowl for faster freezing.
- Insert the dasher into the aluminum canister, make sure that it is set well in the bottom of the can. Next, you put the top of the canister.
- Take the entire canister set in the bucket. Ensure to put the canister at the center bottom of the bucket.
- Attach the hand crank into the canister to experience the whipping process in a classic way. Or else, you can attach the motor to let it do the hard work for you.
- Next, layer ice, rock salt and cold water inside the bucket.
- Plug the motor on an electric model in order to start to whip the mixture. If you use the cranking mechanism, remember to turn the crank steadily to the right.
- Let the motor run in 20-30 minutes (if you make 4 quarts of ice cream) till the cream transforms to the consistent mush. If you use the hand crank, stop cranking when the canister becomes hard to turn.
- After that, take the chilled canister out of the bucket and use a long-handled spoon to pack the scoop ice cream out. You can enjoy the ice cream right now or keep it in the freezer for further use.
Tips to make perfect ice cream with classic ice cream makers
Don’t just dump the ice, rock salt, and cold water into the bucket. You need to layer these things together, and the top layer should be salt.
Most of the old school ice cream makers make soft ice cream, so you need to keep the ice cream in the freezer for a few hours or use heavy cream if you wanna make hard ice cream.
So far, we’ve shown you how to use old fashioned ice cream maker. Hope that our tutorial will help you make your own tasty ice cream. If you have any questions related to ice cream makers, let us know. We will try our best to help you out. Thanks for reading.